Monday, October 24, 2011

Caramelized Carrots Cooking Method

Caramelized carrots is a favorite in our home. I can not make these often enough for my family.  We love our veggies in all shapes and forms, but these top the list of favorites.  I will definitely be making a big batch of them for Thanksgiving as well as making sure they are on the table as often as I can.

 This is such a simple recipe, but you must have patience.  The board of ingredients in embarrassingly simple. This is all you need to create the most wonderful carrots EVER!  I use full size carrots and peel them myself.  I suppose you could buy a bag of baby carrots and save the peeling, but I find that their small size makes them challenging to cut up.  You can do whatever you would like as long as you try this recipe. 



 Cut both ends off of the peeled carrots. 



For really thick carrots, cut them into quarters length-wise.  For thinner carrots, cut them in half length-wise.  



Cut the carrot strips into little pieces now.  I guess this would be considered dicing the carrots.  You could also cut the peeled carrots into coins on a mandolin, but I prefer this method.  When I am in a hurry, I do use a mandolin.    



Look at the pile of carrots!  I feel like I really did something.  I can't wait to eat them. 



Okay, time to cook them.  In the pan {non-stick if you have it} they go.  Season them with salt and pepper.  Add a bit of water to the pan so the carrots will steam over medium heat. 



Keep an eye on the carrots and give them an occasional stir. When the water begins to evaporate from the pan, add olive oil. You are not frying the carrots, but you must add enough olive oil to keep the carrots from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Keep an eye on the pan to adjust the oil as you go. If the pan starts looking dry, add another drizzle of oil.





Keep stirring the carrots ever so often as they cook. You want the carrots to caramelize evenly. This is exactly what you are looking for.  Salt, pepper, olive oil and carrots could not be a better combination.  Just give the carrots time to cook.  These carrots are so amazing and definitely worth the time it takes to let them caramelize.  Enjoy!      Don't forget to enter the giveaway.  Details below.




We are giving away My Memories, a digital scrapbook program.  Please enter here.

5 comments:

  1. wow! I'll definitely have to trythese! They look delicious!! Thanks so much for stopping by my The Kitchen Cookie - have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this recipe. We absolutely LOVE roasted carrots..drizzled with OO and salt. They taste sooo good. Will give these a try TODAY for lunch.Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, those carrots sound fabulous! I definately will give them a try. Thanks for your visit to my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love carrots and they look great, no doubt they're a favorite:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caramel carrots? Just a perfect mix for me! Looks so good..

    ReplyDelete