Friday, July 15, 2011

Root Beer Floats...For Adults Only

Hey everyone, drinks at our house this weekend. Come join us on the patio for a few drinks and lots of laughs. The summer weather has been begging us to enjoy the patio and dock. Who are we to stay cooped up inside when we could be outside enjoying ourselves.

I have a big tub of ice cold beer for the fellas. For the ladies, I am serving grown up root beer floats. I am trying Bobby Flay's Root Beer Floats. What could be more perfect for a lazy summer evening?  Does anyone remember  Hot Off the Grill with Bobby Flay?  He was so cocky way back then, but what always impressed me were his cocktails.  When I saw that Happier Than a Pig In Mud was hosting Celebrity Cook Along featuring Bobby Flay, I knew I would be making a drink. I am not a huge drinker, but when I do have the rare opportunity to sit down and enjoy an adult beverage, I want something really good. I like this drink because it is so simple to make and a tiny bit of bourbon goes along way flavor wise.

The board of ingredients is pretty simple.  Old fashioned root beer, bourbon, ice cream, and whipped cream.  I never would have thought to add whipped cream to a root beer float, but Bobby Flay said to do it!



Start by adding a few scoops of ice cream to some pretty glass mugs.



Then add a splash {or more} of bourbon.  I prefer to go light on the bourbon.  Too much bourbon reminds me of a bowl of ice cream with brandy poured on top. The bourbon also makes the drink less sweet  {which I like} but it's not what you expect of a traditional root beer float. 



Old fashioned root beer is perfect for this drink.  Make sure your root beer is super cold.



Let the foam settle down a bit.



Add a bit more root beer, a dollop of whipped cream and some stirring sticks.



A colorful straw and a few pretty napkins left over from the 4th of July finishes the drink and makes it so pretty.



Cheers!



Bobby Flay's Root Beer Floats

Ingredients:


* 1 pint(s) vanilla ice cream
* 2 bottle(s) very cold old-fashioned root beer
* Splash bourbon (optional)
* Freshly whipped cream, for garnish (optional)

Directions:

1. Spoon a few scoops of vanilla ice cream into 2 tall float glasses. Pour the root beer and bourbon, if using, slowly over the ice cream and top with a dollop of whipped cream.  Enjoy!

For the recipe click here.

I am linking up to Celebrity Cook-Along at Happier Than a Pig In Mud and Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.

6 comments:

  1. Yummmmy...gonna make these next time we have folks over for dinner. Great summer drink.:)
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so good! I actually have some bourbon from making sauces for grilling out and think I'll give one a try! Thanks so much for joining the Cook-Along, Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this looks yummy...great for summer! Thanks for entering my giveaway! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a European, Root Beer is not a drink I've ever enjoyed, but I guess it depends how much bourbon is added to these adult floats!
    Thanks for calling in at Normandy Life and have a great weekend.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to make this for my mister, he loves all the ingredients in this float and he loved milk shakes and still does, but I'll have to make him this Adult version. Thanks for sharing and giving easy how to instructions.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm! What a delicious Sumer treat! Thanks for the recipe!
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete