Thursday, May 5, 2011

Budget Buster - Gift Giving

I enjoy the art of giving a gift. I love finding or making a special little something to brighten the spirits of a friend, neighbor, relative, teacher or anyone. Lately I am noticing that my money does not go nearly as far as it used to.

When I found this tutorial from Stone Gable on bath salts I was thrilled. I gathered the ingredients to make them. I had a trial run and was thrilled with the results. I decided they were every bit as wonderful as the container I had picked up at the mall...and maybe even a touch better since these did not dissolve so quickly.

I bought the essential oil at a drug store around the corner, any cute or embellished container will work. The salt and oil came from my grocery store. I happen to be using violet food coloring and lavender essential oil, but you can use any scent and color combination you would like.



To begin, measure one cup of fine sea salt into a bowl.



Add one half cup of grape seed oil to the salt.



Add four or five drops of essential oil.



I am also adding a tooth picks worth of violet food coloring.  That is a very official measurement.  I would start with less coloring and add more if you want a darker, richer color.  If you start with too much color, it is difficult to lighten without adding more ingredients...which could wind up being a waste of your supplies. 



Then stir it all together.  At first it might look like just a big mess in the bowl.  But be patient and keep sitring.



You will be rewarded. I think at this point you should definitely grab a glob of salt and try it out on your hands.  You will be so happy with the results.  I promise.



I found this cute glass jar at Wal Mart.     



Cover the salts.



And finally, embellishing a gift is always a nice touch.



I found this plastic container on a clearance shelf. 



After a bit, the salts are going to sink down into the container and the oil will rise to the top of the salts.  That's okay.  It's normal.  Just give the salts a  bit of a stir with your finger when you go to use it. 




I am adding the plastic jar to a little bath basket that I am giving as a Mother's Day gift.  A pretty flower to decorate the basket is a nice touch although some fresh lavender sprigs would have been even more perfect since that is the scent I used. I am also adding a bar of French soap, and a super soft washcloth.



Here it is all tucked into the basket.  I want someone to give this to me!  :-)




Bath Salt Recipe


1 Cup fine textured sea salt
4 oz (1/2 cup) grape seed oil
food color
3-5 drops essential oil of choice.

Mix ingredients together. Store in an airtight container.  Don't forget to enjoy the fruits of your labor.






You can check out more unique gift ideas here:

Visit thecsiproject.com

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to make my own bath salts! This is a great how-to. Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower! Come over to Greetings From the Asylum and follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool idea! Love the new look!

    ReplyDelete